Friday, May 29, 2009

Lessons with the Babies

This week Meredith, Candice, and myself have spent time at the Haven in the mornings working on lessons (body parts, food, animals) with the toddlers. In the evenings Mrs. McLain decided to have the same lessons with the babies. We sit them at a table like you would find in a cradle roll class (table with seats in it), sing songs, and teach them about their eyes, ears, nose, certain animals, and foods. They really seem to enjoy singing the songs. One little girl, Julia, tries to sing with us, repeats some of the words, and tries to make the same hand motions we do. I’m not sure what age she is.

Today during our lesson with the babies, several of the babies clapped their hands with us. It’s encouraging to see these babies that normally don’t get a lot of stimuli in their day, so excited to participate, try to talk, and clap. For the situation and setting they are in, it’s also wonderful to see them so involved with us and to see how very, very bright some of them are.

I have found myself becoming very attached to one of the babies here at the Haven (I definitely want to adopt him!! It’s hard not to become attached to these children). Ryan is often the one you hear crying once you walk into the baby house. Today was a great day to see him at the baby house though. Normally he will only respond to certain people, he tends to begin crying if he’s not near the room he sleeps, and if you try to sit down with him. Today he was happy and active. He smiled and giggled with Sara Shock while she was holding him. He participated in the little lesson we had. He was trying to talk to the other boys and girls, as well as clapped his hands by himself. I felt like a mom watching him! I was so excited to see a change.

-Jessica Mayes

10 comments:

  1. Jessice, great post! You are right on when you say you get attached to the kiddos. Some tug at your heart strings more then others. Keep up the good work. You are probably learning as much as any of the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to be able to read your blog - it's a brilliant idea! If your experience as an SLP is anything like mine, there will be times in your career when you wonder if you are making a difference at all in the world or if you should chuck it all and work at Hallmark. When you have those days, I hope you will remember this experience and the many others like it that you will have and know that what you do really does make a difference! People really do improve with intervention and they really are making positive changes because of your involvement. I'd agree with DCT - you are certainly learning as much as they are and I am looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing pictures! How have the caregivers responded to your being there and getting in the middle of their routine? Have you met any resistance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I am so glad to read your blog! I enjoy reading about your interaction with the children. In fact, I wish I could be there to help with the children!

    I will look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Jessica I know this is absolutely wonderful for you. You are such a wonderful human being & will make such a wonderful mommy. I started my clincial at the hospital in Searcy today & I know exactly what you mean about becoming attached. We saw the same patient for 1hr & 1/2 today she is aleady pulling my heart strings. Give those babies loving -- their caregivers are amazing however the kids really need & deserve the TLC you all are handing out. Keep us updated on the amount of spontaneous memory they have of the songs & see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer your question, only 2 of the caregivers have been extremely resistant to what we are doing that I have noticed; however the rest are becoming more used to us being there every day. I have made a point to talk to each one, ask their name, learn something about them, and share about myself as well. As a group we ask if they need help and we change diapers and help with feeding. This has made a smoother transition for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, it sounds like you are having such a great experience. I am getting attached to my patients as well. There are a couple that will be getting discharged soon because of the progress they have made. It makes me feel truly blessed that I am able to help someone be able to live their life, when at one point you don't know if they will be able to or not. Continue to do care for the children and love them.....Tiarra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jessica! I miss you! I can't help but think how hard it is going to be for you to LEAVE those precious little ones after reading your blog! It sounds like you are making great progress with them in a very short time! I'm so proud of you, and so happy that you are experiencing such great things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica, I hope you are continuing to have a wonderful experience! I have thought about you often since you all left and am so happy that you are having this opportunity.
    Sometimes it's shocking, isn't it, to realize that even though you are just one person, you really can make such a difference in someone else's life. And you are, Jessica! Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica, How wonderful to be able to see the changes in these children in such a short time. They must be loving all the attention they are getting! I wish I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing to read about how quickly the kids are responding to you. I can imagine that it has been very easy for you to become attached to these sweet babies.

    ReplyDelete