Monday, June 1, 2009

Testing Grade Four

It is June 1st. Wow...I can't believe that we're already here. So much has happened already and we will all have tons of stories to share. We know we've missed a few days, but power has been out a ton. This morning we had a huge power outage that took out two large cities Lusaka(about an hour east) and Livingstone (three hours south). I've been working in the basic schools for the past week and just finished testing grade four for my research project. I administered the EVT and Antionette gave the PPVT. Our students ranged in age from 9 to 13. To make up for the language barrier some prompts and instructions were modified. I found some really interesting things. Usually all of the students missed certain questions. Apparently, they have never had a lesson on ocean life; because their little faces were hilarious when i flipped to the page with the octopus. No one had a clue what it was and only one guessed fish. Also the couch was always named a chair. The picture of a paper bag was called a box and colors and shapes were always interesting. I was talking to Roy Merritt about their answers and he gave me some interesting insight. Roy and his wife Kathy run the orphanage here and have 40 kids staying at their personal house, not to mention the toddler and baby house...full of children. He has lived here for his whole life. Roy said that any instrument with strings is called a banjo, which is why over half of the kids called the guitar a banjo. There are only a few colors in the Tonga language, so it's more difficult to learn them in English. Roy also said that they would call a couch a sofa(which a few did) but figured it was normal that they thought it was a chair. I'm going through the whole test with him soon, I'm very excited. We all miss you. If Jamia doesn't tell you about the best grilled cheese she's ever had in her post, hit me up.
Love you all!!! Brittany

6 comments:

  1. This is wonderful multicultural experience. We talked about this when we talked about confirming test responses with the local population to determine whether responses were cultural or "errors". I am so interested in what you find. I can see it on a poster or in a presentation now!!! Great job you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so interesting! We talked a little bit about this in 614 also - on the Boston Naming Test, many older people will call a harmonica a French harp and call stilts Tommy Walkers. I'm glad that you have someone who can go through the test with you and give some insight on their responses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this situation about calling an object 2 different things. I am experiencing it at the rehab hospital. I have a couple of patients who don't recognize sofa, purse or backpack just to name a few. Its either couch, pocketbook, and book satchel. I think both the patient and I will look at each other and wonder what are they talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooooo interesting, Brittany! I loved hearing about their different answers! How many children do you think you've tested so far? Let me know what I need to be doing here!

    I'll expect a grilled cheese when you get back (no spiders, please)! ;)I hope your Mother is having a good time! Miss you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany, sounds like you jumped in and have been working hard from the get-go! We have heard a lot about the little children before now. Do you enjoy being with the older ones?
    The Merritts sounds like wonderful and very helpful people. I hope your experience working with them continues to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to hearing more about the differences in culture you are discovering throughout the testing process! How does this school setting experience compare to your school site in the states?

    ReplyDelete