Saturday, June 6, 2009

The First Speech Pathology Class in Zambia

Well, as most of our faithful readers know, I am teaching an introductory class in speech-language pathology here at George Benson Christian College. All of the students are first year students and they were required to enroll in the class. I was a little nervous since they had very little idea of what the profession is about.

My first day I had to call roll for over 80 students. It took 25 minutes to call the roll! They laughed but I tried. I told them the story of how the entire HIZ-Path program developed last year and then told them that they were the first speech pathology students ever in Zambia. They cheered and applauded! I was so surprised. Then I told them that if they were in the US, we would have to make a t-shirt for the event. They all thought that was a great idea! I wish there were a way to make that happen but there are not too many t-shirt printing companies around here.

Here is the classroom.


They were concerned about being able to understand my speech and requested that I use PowerPoint, so I put my sketchy notes into PowerPoint. They copy down every single word from the slides. They also all listen so very intently! They also call me “Madam” when they address me AND if they are late to class, they stop at the door and wait quietly until I nod at them and tell them they can enter! So, very different from HU students coming in late and banging the door of the classroom.

Yesterday, after class three students waited for me and said, “Madam, we would like to invite you to our game. The English and History majors have challenged the Mathematics majors to a football game and we would like for you to attend.”
They are so nice and so polite. The game was fun and the student players seemed to be showing off some for our students.

I administered the first test yesterday, Friday, so we will see what happens!

Here are the students diligently copying from the PowerPoints.
BWeave

8 comments:

  1. The story of your first day of class gave me chills! How wonderful to get to teach a LARGE group of such enthusiastic, respectful learners!

    I WISH I could send them t-shirts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Weaver, you are inspiring! And isn't GOD so creative and AMAZING?! I can see that He is working through you and all the others at HIZ-PATH to bless the Zambian children, college students, and the Christians there as well. I am glad that the class seems to be going so well. The pictures are great. Keep the updates coming. I hope the electricity will stay on the next few days so that you can! :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I trust that you are making a list about all the things that need to be done for next year. Will there be a class of students going into speech therapy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they seem to find the information that you are sharing with them interesting? I'm sure with their good manners that it might be harder to tell, but is Madam :) sparking a passion for speech path? (Yes, I'm getting tired of making this little smiley face too, but it's the closest thing I can do to laughing with yall!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There seem to be a couple of students who are very interested. One student not in this class is but is completing his student teaching right now has been going over the notes of the other students. He comes to ask me questions that are actually very good questions. He wants to study this more.

    I think there might actually be a one or two who want to "major" in speech pathology.

    DCT: we need to bring our own extension cords, our own chalk and erasers (they call them dust boards) for when the power goes out and there is no PowerPoint, about 25 electric converts, and a PRINTER!!! our own printer is a MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that your classes are going so well! How exciting for your students to have a new program in their college. We will have to call you Madam in our classes now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to hear about how enthusiastic the students are about learning. I'm glad that some of the students are taking an interest speech path!

    ReplyDelete