Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jordan's Rock

June 2, 2009
If you are a regular follower you will notice my blog is dated June 2, 2009, but not posted until June 3, 2009. This is because on Tuesday we had no power during the hours we were awake. However, we continued our journeys.

Sara implemented a new rule at the haven. There is a little boy, about 2yrs old, named Weston. He walks up to everyone and raises his hands to be picked up. Sara decided we were not going to pick him up and hold him the entire 2 hrs. As soon as we got there he walked up to Sara to be picked. She picked him up, loved on him for a few minutes then put him down. Then he went to Becca. She hugged him and sat him down for the session. He sat on his bottom the entire session and participated very well. After 2 hrs we went to the baby house and held all babies that were crying.

We were invited, by the Merritts, to Jordan’s Rock for a cookout. Jordan’s Rock is located in the middle of nowhere. We drove through weeds as tall as Khaki Jacki, along a very narrow path, to reach our destination. B Weave has proven she can drive anywhere, through anything, at any given time. This location was named Jordan’s rock because years ago there was a stream near the rock. A nearby church (2-3 miles at least) used the stream for baptisms and called it Jordan’s Rock. We has had planned to be at the rock for the sunset but we missed it. Once we arrived at the rock, it was magnificent. We ate dinner, which was prepared by the Kathy Merritt and her staff. We ate by flashlight; however, Brittany used her headlamp. I laugh at her every time she walks up wearing it but it has come in very handy. I will not make this trip again without one. After dinner we praised the Lord through songs and prayer. It was very relaxing. We came home, once again, to no electricity. Oh, I almost forgot, we woke up to no electricity.

Antoinette Cartwright

8 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you might be planning to go back to Zambia again by the "I will not make this trip again without one" comment! That is so cool! I hope your children are doing ok without you, and that YOU are doing ok without THEM! I miss you here. I was so used to seeing you guys every day.

    I WANT TO HOLD WESTON!!! I'm sure you are getting very attached to many of the children! It must be very sobering to see so many without families, and in need of so much love and attention!

    Jordan's Rock must have been a wonderful experience! I wish I could have been there for the dinner and devo. I wouldn't like the lack of electricity, however! ;)

    It's great to hear from you! I think about you and pray for you daily! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Weaver truly is the Queen. Driving at night in Zambia is a MAJOR, MAJOR undertaking! Jordan's Rock sounds like a great place. Sorry you didn't make it by sunset. However, there are only so many things you can cram in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are cracking me up with Khaki Jacki. We need pictures & blow one up in the grad room for giggles. Thanks for the report on your little boy. I know it must be hard when they want to be held -- not to hold them. Hope therapy is going well & you all are getting some great information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think and pray for you all daily. I, like Tara, is also wondering how your children are doing and how you are doing without your children. Jordan's Rock sounds amazing, and I can't wait to see the pictures!

    What is the temperature in Zambia? I, like Tara, would not like the lack of electricity, but I know what you all are doing is a great work for the Lord with the children and people of Zambia. God is AWESOME!

    I hope you will take a picture of Brittany with her headlamp on her head! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A headlamp...interesting. I'm starting to think maybe I shoud get one, but I doubt it would be as useful here are it is there! haha. Glad Brittany thought to bring along something so handy.
    Thinking of Dr. Weaver, now officially B Weave, driving like a pro on a not-so-much road makes me laugh. I think probably there is nothing she couldn't do!
    Jordan's Rock sounds like a beautiful, mystical place. I wish I could have been there with you all.
    Hope you are well, Antoinette. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Melissa, we finally have a good idea of how to decorate "The Bungalow" (aka the grad workroom". Pictures from the trip would offer lots of laughs! Antoinette, hope you are having the time of your life. What stories you'll have to share with your kids! It's a great example for them to see you serving those in need in God's name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Antoinette, sounds like you are missing reliable electricity! I'm sad that you missed the sunset, but it sounds like a great place for a picnic. Going to my off-site each day is not the same without my carpool buddy! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jordan's Rock sounds awesome. Sorry you guys missed the sunset, but other than that it sounds like you all had a great time, eating and worshipping together.

    ReplyDelete