Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Lesson in Sharing

I have an apple, that makes me glad.
You have no apple, that makes me sad.
I’ll share my apple for I love you,
And that’s what Jesus wants me to do.

We sing this song to our toddlers when we do the Language Enrichment Therapy Units with them each day (and let me just say how awesome they are doing with learning the songs and speaking to us more!). However, whether you are a toddler or an adult, sharing is not an easy task - definitely easier said than done.

We have 12 people in our HIZ-path group, along with the larger group of painters from Tennessee and the 2 families that brought their children. Our group of 12 had gotten quite comfortable in our little African oasis before the others came along and 'invaded' our territory. Don’t get me wrong, they are doing wonderful things for the people here, but we had to learn to share things that we normally take for granted.

Our solar-powered showers are only warm for a short amount of time each afternoon, and, when the power is out, they offer very little water pressure. On Wednesday, the others returned first and Jessica and I waited until they and others in our group had finished showering to take our turn. When our turn came, the water was too cold, so we decided to wait until Thursday, but we went to a soccer game put on by the guys at the college on Thursday and missed our showers again. Not today. We packed all our shower gear on the edge of our beds before leaving for the Haven, sat at the back of Khaki Jackie on the way home, and RAN for the showers to make sure we were the first ones to the showers. Victory!

We have also had to learn to share our portions at meals, for instance taking 1 piece of chicken rather than 2, since the others arrived. B Weave has set a wonderful example for us as a TCM (true Christian martyr), as she calls it. She always goes last in line for meals even if that means she gets jipped. Me, not so much. I arrive early for meals on the veranda where we eat and wait close to the table so I can be near the front of the line. I just love Leonard’s cooking (I actually do take smaller portions, though).

Perhaps the hardest adjustment is sharing our kiddos at the Haven. We have gotten extremely attached to those sweethearts and have already staked claims on which ones we are each sneaking home in our suitcases. Then, one day, I walked in to find one of the others holding MY baby! I may have pouted just a little. After the bitterness subsided a little, it became easier to let my little ones go, knowing that they are still being loved on and that it gives me a chance to bond with the children I don’t normally get to hold. This trip has greatly challenged me to put aside my own selfishness and to remember that I am not here to get my way all the time, but to be a light to those around me. And even if sharing is difficult, we are all are ultimately working toward the same goal, and that makes it all worthwhile.

Ashley Dowler

5 comments:

  1. I love your post! This experience must be a true test of patience and selflessness! I'm impressed by what you all are doing and admire you for going about it with such good, humorous attitudes! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That song that you wrote at the beginning is so sweet. What tune do you use?
    Your description of "the others" makes me laugh, and I sympathize because I'm guessing I would struggle with many of the same feelings if I were in your position! Hang in there, girl. God is growing you, and I'm sure He is pleased by the work that you are doing. May you glean many blessings along with the lessons learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your feeling about letting go of "your" kiddos is probably the same feelings others had when you arrived. Your analysis about why you are feeling what you feel is the basis for teaching pragmatic skills. ...another great experience. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job of describing a struggle familiar to many of us! It is so easy to let that bitterness affect us, if we don't keep it in check. I was surprised this summer to realize how easy it can be for servants (caretakers, SLPs, OTs, PTs,etc..) to become territorial over those whom we are serving. Even in a short amount of time, it just happens. I imagine that IS magnified with the little ones. I also found it amusing when you used the phrase "the others", because that too sounds familiar:)! I really enjoyed this post...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure those cold showers are no fun, but how great that so many people are able to have this experience - even if it is getting a little crowded. :) I'm sure "the others" are learning the same lessons as well.

    ReplyDelete